Planting your garden without a quality garden tiller is quite painful. Choosing a tiller may depend on the size of an area, types of your soil where will you cultivate, and your budget. It’s not so hard to work to find out the best garden tillers on the market. Just a few things you need to get clear first.
Besides answering the necessary questions here we picked 5 quality tools out of the best garden tiller out of the market. Checking them may help you save valuable time.
Which Type is The Best Garden Tiller for My Garden?
After knowing the types of tillers, now you should ask yourself a simple question. It will help you to pick the right tiller. The question is, how big is your garden?
Best Tiller for Small Garden:If your garden size is less than average 1500 square feet, you need a lightweight and small tiller to work comfortably. A small garden rototiller with 4-6 inches width will be enough. Just need to concentrate on the reverse gear for those areas where there is no chance to turn the tiller.
Best for Rocky Soil:If it seems that soil is rocky, you need a heavy powerful tiller for your garden. The rear tine garden tiller with CRT would be the best solution for hard ground.
Best For The Large Garden:If the area of the garden is more than 5000 square feet, then you should count it as a large garden during choosing a tiller. So, you should try to pick one with at least 6 horsepower. Otherwise, it will not comfortable for a large garden. Picking one with a gasoline-powered model can be a wise decision.
Caring and Using Tips for A Tiller:
Cleaning: Always keep the tiller clean if you like to ensure the longevity of your machine. It always gets dirty very quickly because of you using this in the mud.
Taking Care: Try to remove tillers roots and the other things from the tines after using it.
Sharpness: It’s simply that, the tines will lose the sharpness overtime because of using them again and again. So, make sharpen them again after a certain time.
Safety Issue: Never take the risk, always follow the instructions given by the manufacturer. Long pants, safety glasses, steel-toed boots, gloves, and hearing protection are always recommended.
Visual Inspection:Leaking of gas and oil is a common issue if you are not careful. So inspect visually to ensure all parts are in working order. Don’t forget to check gas and oil levels too. Also, inspect the tines that they are rotating freely.
#1. Earthwise TC70016 16-Inch 13.5 Amp Corded Electric Tiller
Earthwise TC70016 is an ideal garden tiller for home usage. Especially, if you are doing versatile things in your garden. It is easy to prepare a large or medium flower bed within a tiny time. You can single-handedly complete ‘losing the soil’ work. This unit comes with a powerful 13.5 amp motor. It motor ensures continuous power supply for your works.
It is a corded tiller. Just plug in the socket and press the button and hold the bail wire. Comes with comfortable gripping. You will be comfortable in longer period works. Its easy maneuvering system help to move flawlessly. The best part is, you can even work in a narrow bed.
Earthwise TC70016 16-Inch 13.5 Amp Corded Electric Tiller pros & cons
- Ergonomic design allows doing versatile works
- Lightweight to move with less effort
- It doesn’t require gas or oil and you remain hassle-free
- One touch push button for instant start
- 11 to 16 inches tilling width for perfection
- Comes with 6 adjustable tines for the convenience
- If you are working in a larger area, the cord length may make issues
This garden cultivator can be an ideal product for people who want perfection in works. It is easy to use garden tiller which has superior power with better run time.
#2. Sun Joe TJ603E 16-Inch 12-Amp Electric Tiller and Cultivator
Sun Joe TJ603E is one of the best sellers in the category of power tillers. Because of its versatile design and ergonomic design, users love it a lot. There are 6 angled tines in it for better performance. Its tines come with the steel construction for the durability. No matter if you are working on hard soil, it will move smoothly.
The 12 amp motor helps to work continuously in the garden. You can dig up to 8 inches deeper and 16 inches wider which is enough for most of the garden works. The handles come with the soft gripping and it is comfortable to hold. You can adjust the wheels in three different positions for customized works. Simply connect the cord and start with one touch push button.
Sun Joe TJ603E 16-Inch 12-Amp Electric Tiller and Cultivator pros & cons
- Foldable handles for convenient storage after usages
- It doesn’t require any fuel to run
- Safety switch helps you to avoid any inconvenience
- Steel angle tines for the durability and longevity
- Weed control is easier with this tiller
- Continuous work in a hard ground won’t be comfortable
- During the works, dirt may fly which you won’t probably like
If you are looking for the best garden tiller for moderate usages, this is recommended for you. But for continuous work on the hard ground, it will take more time. However, the overall performance is quite impressive that you should go for it.
#3. Sun Joe TJ600E Tiller Joe 14-Inch 6.5 Amp Electric Tiller
Sun Joe is a trusted brand for different garden tillers. In their product line, the TJ600E is so popular because of the ergonomic design. It is an electric garden cultivator which doesn’t require any fuel. If you own a small to medium garden, this item will be a good choice. Unlike the heavy-duty models, it comes with the essential features. You can comfortably prepare your flower bed.
There is a 6.5 amp motor which is capable of digging 14″ wide x 7″ deep. It comes with 4 steel tilling blades that continuously dig the soil. The handlebars are comfortable to grip and it is easy to maneuver.
Sun Joe TJ600E Tiller Joe 14-Inch 6.5 Amp Electric Tiller pros & cons
- No gas or oil is required and no need regular maintenance
- 3 position adjustable manual wheel positions
- Deeper digging with less effort
- Comes with steel angled tines for the durability
- Collapsible handles for easy storage and transportation
- Instant start with a single push button and a safety switch
- Not the ideal one for larger gardens
- Because of the lightweight, it is difficult to go deeper comfortably
This Sun Joe TJ600E garden tiller is suitable for anyone who wants to work in a small or medium garden. Though the motor is only 6.5 amp, it comfortable passes through hard soil or even rock in the ground.
#4. Sun Joe TJ604E 16-Inch 13.5 AMP Electric Garden Tiller
This is a full-featured garden tiller from Sun Joe. This TJ604E model of cultivator comes with a 13.5 amp motor. With the powerful motor, you can go deeper for digging. It can dig 16 in. wide x 8 in. deep which is enough for most of the garden. The blades are made of steel which is durable. The 370 RPM with these steel blades, make the work easier. It can go through rocks and hard surfaces.
It is a convenient garden tiller which is easy to control. Simply connect the cord and start instantly with the push button. There are 3 different adjustable wheel position. The comfortable handlebars and different positions help for easy maneuver.
Sun Joe TJ604E 16-Inch 13.5 AMP Electric Garden Tiller pros & cons
- Comes with foldable handles for convenient storage
- Safety switch and instant start for flawless works
- Lightweight design for hassle-free transport
- Steel tines for the durability and longevity
- It doesn’t require fuel and ready for instant works
- The performance is not good at nonstop digging in hard surface
- Ideal for only small and medium garden and weed controlling
If you prefer quality and want to work with less effort, I would suggest you buy this Sun Joe TJ604E garden tiller. It finely digs the soil even the hard soil and makes the gardening works easier.
#5. Troy-Bilt TB146 EC 29cc 4-Cycle Cultivator
If you are looking for a high-end garden tiller for regular usages, you should try this item. Especially, if you don’t want the hassle of a cord, I would suggest you buy this garden tiller. There is no need for electric power supply. It comes with the reliable 29cc 4-cycle powerful engine. It allows you to complete all the digging works within a convenient time.
It is easy to start the tiller. You can use a separate jump starter which will make it easier. There are 6 steel tines which are durable. It can go 5 inches deeper and you can adjust the width from 6 to 12 inches.
Troy-Bilt TB146 EC 29cc 4-Cycle Cultivator pros & cons
- Doesn’t require any electric power supply
- No need to mix gas and oil for the engine
- Comes with a collapsible handle for easy storage and transport
- 6 premium steel tines to make softer the hard soil
- Variable speed throttle for the convenience
- It performs best for flower garden and vegetable garden
- It needs regular refilling with the fuel which will cost you extra
- This garden tiller is not the best one for the long run
This is an ideal product for those who have a great habit of gardening. It is suitable to cover small to medium gardens comfortably.
A garden tiller is the most essential tool for planting the garden. We hope these best garden tillers review will help you to empower yourself with essential knowledge on the tiller and taking the right decision. Ready for planting your garden?